We then drove to the north side of Lake Pontchartrain, and along the causeway across the lake, which is 23 miles long.On Saturday, George and I went out for breakfast to McElroy's on the Bayou. Then went to an RV dealer and did a few errands on the way. In the evening, our whole MDS group went to Mobile, Alabama for a spaghetti supper, and later a Booth Brothers concert. They do a very enjoyable concert, and also explain the Gospel in a way that leaves no doubt about how to accept Jesus.
This morning we went to the church where Mr. Shun attends...he is the owner of the house we'll be working at now. It's an all black, Baptist church. How do I describe the service? They had a male choir that sang a few numbers...one man singing the main line, with the others mostly backup. The men were all dressed in very sharp suits, the older women especially, were dressed quite formally, and some had hats on that were quite interesting. Their children are so beautiful, the boys with their short, curly hair, and the little girls, with their braids and ribbons and bows in their hair. The congregation sang 2 familiar songs out of a hymn book, adding a bit of a different beat to the songs. The minister spoke very loudly, and by the end of his hour long sermon, was shouting at the top of his voice, accompanied by the organ. He stopped occasionally to wipe his head and face with a towel, he was sweating that hard. I suppose the one word that describes it best, is LOUD. But, the service did speak to the people there, a few went forward to accept Christ. They just have a different way of worshiping God.
1 comment:
Sounds like a good weekend. Sorry I missed you on gtalk today but maybe you were too busy (I was sleeping all evening, oops). I am envious that you are wearing flip flops. Enjoy your retail therapy. ha ha
Post a Comment